I am not you, you are not me and that is great!

 I've had this post on my mind for a while now.

The media and the world we live in today want us to be enemies, and to be jealous of each other. This idea is mostly thrust upon women. We need to be enemies when we are single because another woman could get in the way of who we want to date. We need to be enemies as mothers because someone else could be doing something better than us. We need to be enemies in the workplace because another women could take something we want. Stay at home mothers and working mothers have to be enemies because they are living their lives differently, right? Wrong. This issue is exacerbated by TV and the media in general that shows women in opposition and never as friends. Why do we buy into it?

I fell into this awful lie when I was a teenager, and often still have to stop envious or awful thoughts about women that I see beating me in one area or another. I realize now that the time I have wasted on jealousy, envy, and comparing myself to others could have been used to do some great things and foster wonderful new friendships.

I need to remember that every woman has a different set of skills and talents than me. I don't need to be the perfect studier, speaker, crafter or photographer like some of my amazing friends. The great thing is that I have friends who have skills and are willing to teach me. Friends and the relationships we have can be our greatest source of learning.

I don't need to feel bad about myself if I do not currently have a quality or attribute that a friend does. I  can always work on those parts of me that aren't as strong as I would like them to be. I am done comparing myself to others. I need to be the best me and that's all.

I need to always remember that God created me differently from every other woman on this earth. I have a unique set of skills that my friends and family don't have. I have something to give my family and the world.

We are all so very different, and isnt that wonderful?? Let's build each other up instead of tearing each other down!





No comments