Long hair don't care

2 years ago my hair was dead and completely lifeless. I knew it was time to chop it to bring the life back into it. I had never had short hair before and thought it would be a fun change. At that point I realized I needed to start taking care of my hair.

Left: long damaged hair | Right: Short healthy hair

I get asked a lot how I keep my hair so healthy. In the last two years I chopped my hair to my shoulders and now its longer than its ever been in my life. Here are some of the things I have learned about my hair throughout this growing process.

For the first 6 months after I got my hair chopped I used heat on it maybe 2 or 3 times. My short hair dried incredibly fast and is stick straight so it wasn't a bid deal to air dry. About a week after I chopped it I also went to Europe for a month and didn't have room for any heat tools which helped me get into the habit of not using heat. I did lots of ponytails, braids and twists to keep it interesting.

My hair is incredibly dry on the ends, I have bad dandruff, and my hair is INCREDIBLY oily. Ive learned the best thing for my hair is to go 2-3 days without washing it. This was so hard to do at first because my hair literally looked wet after a day of not washing it. EW. but I trained it and now its easy to go that long.

I don't really have a go to shampoo, except that I use head and shoulders dandruff shampoo a couple of times a week. My biggest secret is the moisturizer I put on the ends after every shower. I really feel like this has helped my hair fight split ends in the dry climate of Utah. I use Ion moisturizer solutions intense hydration and get it at Sally's for like $10 every 6 months to a year. I only put it on my ends otherwise my head would be a greasball.


I still try to use heat on my hair once a week or less. This means I don't blow dry it ever and I curl it maybe once a week. I also get it cut every 4-6 months taking off about an inch to get rid of the dead ends.

These techniques made my hair grow fast and super strong. If your hair is dead I suggest cutting it all off and starting from scratch.


The best part about healthy hair is that I don't get sick of it and I don't have to do much to it. My typical hair styles are: straight, fun braids, bun or curls. I plan on keeping it long until i get sick of it, so who knows I could chop it tomorrow. 


4 comments

  1. your hair looks beautiful both ways, but hair care is so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seriously, my hair is so much easier to manage when its healthy!

      Delete
  2. love this reminder because i am terrible about my hair -- haven't had it cut for a YEAR! need to get on it now :)

    xo welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I'm getting my hair cut next week, and need it BADLY. It's easily been a year and a half since I cut it last. I'm hoping I can stick to a healthy routine like you have!

    ReplyDelete